Skip to main content

Easter Garden



Today my project is being featured on Inspirations – my first post for the blog.
When I got my date for Inspirations I thought it was quite near Easter and tried to come up with an Easter craft.  There are so many Christmas crafts but not so many for Easter it seems…

We used to make Easter gardens at Sunday school and youth group; I always enjoyed making them and thought I’d revive my love but with a ‘ribbony’ twist. 


 

I started with a piece of polystyrene cut to a rectangle.  I glued a couple more bits of polystyrene together for the hill and carved it to shape with my craft knife. 





Then I took a thicker piece of polystyrene and carved it in to a tomb.  My tomb stone is a vintage button from my Grandma’s button box.






To make button gravel:
Put 2 or 3 buttons in a zip lock bag cover entirely with kitchen roll (make an envelope like shape so no small pieces escape and cause injury!)
Place on a tough surface (I used the mat I have for punching holes and setting eyelets) 
(get someone strong to) Smack ‘em with a hammer!!!



 
To make ribbon grass:
Take a few colours of green, brown and neutral satin ribbons (off cuts are great for this) and chop in to 1-2mm pieces over a pot. 
Gently rub between thumb and finger to ‘fluff up’.

 
 

To make pin daisies:

Take a pin and push into polystyrene or a block of blutak to secure it.  
Cut a piece of 3mm satin ribbon to approx 4cm. 
Sew a line of small running stitches along on e edge.
Pull the thread tight, gathering the ribbon, and tie tightly around the stem of the pin.
 


 
To make the pond and reeds:

Secure some more thin strips of raffia underneath a blue button.  
Cover the button with glossy accents, arranging your reeds whilst the glaze is drying.



To make the crosses:
 
Cut the head off a matchstick.
Cut the stick in to two pieces, one roughly double the size of the other.
Secure with a dab of glue.
While the glue is drying pull some strips off a piece of raffia and twist to make a natural looking thread.
Wind the thin raffia string around the join of the cross.
 



I hope you've enjoyed seeing this and I wish you a Happy Easter!

Sharing at:
Inspire Me Mondays
Inspire Me Fridays
Brown Sugar - Easter
Creative Inspirations Paint - go green  (recycled from off cuts or old packaging)
Anything But A Card - green (recycled from off cuts or old packaging)
Avenue613 - anything goes
The NY Melrose Family
Lil Luna





Comments

  1. Thats really clever Laura, never seen one before.

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely project!!! Thank you for joining us at Creative Inspiration Paints for our challenge this week!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    This is fab it reminds of the miniature gardens we used to make with my mum, thanks for sharing
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever and cute. My dd is looking with me and she totally wants to make this project. Thanks for a lovely idea. Have a happy, crafty week. LisaDV #118

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have taken you so long to do - I used to love making those at school. Not sure I could smash up buttons though (love them too much), a step too far for me even though it looks perfect as gravel. Lovely project. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll admit smashing up buttons wasn't easy for me, but it was in the name of art so please forgive me!! ;)

      Delete
  6. Nice project. Thanks for joining us at Brown Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really fabulous Easter project.

    Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever project! Thanks for playing along with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana
    Owner

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen an Easter garden before! This is full of such wonderful detail and I love how you used the various crafting items in a new way! Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!!!!!!! :) Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card this week!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
I love to read your messages...

Popular posts from this blog

WOYWW 159

Hello, Happy Whats On Your Workdesk Wednesday !  As promised a picture of last Wednesdays 'work' finished off.  Post and more photos here . This week I'm showing off the beaded ATC I made... Tricky to photograph so your getting one with flash and one without... It was all parcelled up and sent off to Queen of Desks Julia .  Here is a basic of how it was made... (lots of waffle about wefts and warps!) I use a flexible beading needle.  It is mainly 'eye' so it is very easy to thread. And delica beads which are more regular and accurate than the better known seed bead.  They are slightly more rectangular than round so they line up better. Thread your needle with the weft thread.  (The cross ways thread that weaves back and forth.)  Pick up the beads... Pass the needlefull of beads underneath the warp (tight length ways) threads on the loom... ...and push each bead up in the corresponding g

Hoppity!

Hoppity hoppity!!  :) Hopeful you have arrived here from Fleur 's blog as part of the Crafty Ribbons Easter Hop .  If not and you've found yourself here wondering what on earth I'm on about (and let’s face it J you wouldn’t be the first!!) check out the Inspirations site for all the juicy details! My project for the hop is         Easter bunting!  I cut three templates first - a triangle pennant, a bird and a heart.        Then I cut the pennant shapes from fibre ribbon, threaded them on to some 3mm satin and evenly spaced them.  I embellished each flag with some beads...       I backed the birds and heart on some thin white card and glued them to the centre of the pennants.   My supplies list: yellow fibre , pink fibre , lime fibre , 3mm satin , button box , white card, glue, beads, needle and thread.   At each stop on the hop there'll be a word to collect and a candy draw. I've got these

WOYWW & Card Deck Swap

First up is my desk ... Hmm.  Perhaps the less said the better!  I really should have a sort out but I fancy desking instead! Next I want to share my card deck swaps (deskers don't have to stay for this bit but I reckon you'd enjoy joining in with us, which is why I'm including it in this post) You can read about the swap here on Jessica's blog and sign up here .  Basically, we take a deck of cards, add paint and/or paper, then add a positive sentiment to each card.  Post them to Jessica who shuffles them and sends back 52 different cards from different artists (yes, you are an artist!) from all over the world. These few are ones I have picked out to display first.  I'll swap them round after a few weeks.  Do you like my domino pegs?  :) Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you'll at least consider joining us for the card swap - it's like a super sized ATC swap, and all WOYWW er's know they are fun! See you at your desk x